Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Finally...an auction!!!!




About mid-November through the end of the year most auctioneers are on "holiday". I guess it's too hard to compete with the retail flurry that is going on. I think during normal seasons I am at auction at least 3-4 times per month. So I have been itching to go to one! But finally, today, I found a good. After 4 hours my truck was packed to the top AND I have to go back for three pieces that would not fit (one requires a pick truck)! Yeah! I scored some fabulous vintage baskets (one European market basket on wheels), ironstone, vintage luggage, an industrial style basket with a stiff canvas lid (would be a very cool side table), a long, old green, primitive table, 3 vintage, metal picnic baskets, vintage beadwork flowers, plus some wonderful small items like a vintage strawberry pin cushion, and lots more! Wish I had a staff of 6 to help me unload, clean, price, and display!

Now, for the 3rd installment of New Year's Eve hors d'Ĺ“uvre ideas...Cranberry Salsa. I know I know, sounds strange but trust me, you're going to fix this every year during the holidays. It's full of amazing, bright flavors that burst in your mouth. During Christmas cut tree shapes out of spinach tortillas using cookie cutters. Bake or fry in hot oil for tree shaped chips to serve with the salsa. For New Year's? A champagne bottle shape?

1 bag (12 oz) fresh cranberries
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut in eighths
1/2 large red pepper, cut in large chunks
1/2 medium red onion, cut in large chunks
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple juice
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
1 tsp grated lime zest

Put cranberries, apple, red pepper and onion in food processor; pulse till chopped. Transfer to a large glass bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients till blended. Cover and refrigerate, or spoon into crocks or jars and refrigerate.

2 comments:

Barn House said...

Thanks Lisa for the kind words of encouragement on our blog!

It looks like you really hit the jackpot at this auction. Now that things are thawing out a bit, we hope to be back out there shopping and making up for lost time. ;o)

J & J

Anonymous said...

I brought this cranberry salsa to a party last night and not only was it a hit for the appetizer, then everyone wanted it on their barbecued chicken. Delicious!! Judy