Monday, January 12, 2009

A Big Welcome to Romantic Homes Readers!


Okay, pardon the interruption and my apologies in advance for taking a moment here to toot my own horn...but I just have to share this with you. Romantic Homes magazine named me as one of their esteemed "Romantics" this year. I'm just tickled pink (get my cheesy tie-in to Valentine's Day?) But seriously, it is quite an honor for me, especially considering some of the other extremely talented and creative folks that also grace the pages; Margrit Biever Mondavi of Mondavi wines, Libby Langdon of "Small Space, Big Style" on HGTV, Corey Amaro, photographer/blogger, St. Zacharie, France, Kenneth Brown host of HGTV's "reDESIGN", TLC's "Over Designed", and MSN's "Interior Design Expert", Lidy Baars, antiquarian of the French Garden House in California just to name a few. A huge thank you to Jacqueline and her team at Romantic Homes!

I was asked to write about how I live a romantic life (well, anyone out there with three children want to try answering that?) Anyone who knows me also knows I can talk...a lot. But writing about yourself is a whole different thing. I was at a loss and it took me a few weeks to be able to determine my direction because the most important thing for me was that when people read it, they connected to what I was saying. I believe one of the reasons people enjoy coming to the shop is because of the feeling they get when they walk in or look at the website. I am able to generate this feeling because it aligns with who I am deep down inside. All of the things I do (the shop, website, blog, etc) are fun for me because I don't have to think about it, I just do what I "feel". I am connected to the shop and to my customers in a way that I cannot adequately describe and that's what makes it "romantic".

So here it is...the article I wrote and the final photos they decided to use. At first I was very bummed to see they misspelled my last name (it's Maughmer...pronounced Moffmer) but quickly let it go. Truly, in the bigger scheme of things, it's not a big deal. Then I remembered a great quote from fellow blogger Sharon Wilson....

"At this stage of the game, you just can't take anything too serious, it's about life and art and the drive to make it all happen, the humility to keep it in perspective...And a great punch line..."

(((punchline here would be from my husband who reminds me HIS name is misspelled on our marriage license and that's the same as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card)))

This is me being camera shy. I have never seen a photo of me that I have been happy with (oh aren't we women so critical of ourselves?!)

A token of the lover's holiday, a set of hand poured and cut porcelain X & O. This darling duo resides on my husband's nightstand. An elegant and delicate reminder that saying "I DO" out loud is a legal and binding contract regardless of your name being misspelled on the marriage license.

Some treasures I covet...the letters (addressed to Bexley Station...I grew up in Bexley, Ohio) have since found a home with a customer, the quail eggs and cloches I always have in the shop (and at home).

For a little over 2 months the state route near the shop and my house was closed and this is the road I had to drive to get from point A to point B. This particular morning the fog was hanging in the low spots...enough for me to take pause in my rush and admire the simple and amazing beauty of His handiwork. It was a blessing that road was closed.

I don't own this painting nor do I know anything about it. I stumbled on the image somewhere on line and her eyes captured me. They are familiar. They remind me of a beautiful and itelligent young lady I know.

And of course my love of ironstone. The engraved napkin rings made their way to California. A customer was visiting family here and they came out to the shop together. She did not buy the napkin rings during her visit but thought about them all the way home to the west coast. Once home she called to see if I still had them and could I mail them? Yes of course!!

The storefront and some other photos...



21 comments:

Lady of the Mote said...

The painting is a reverse image of,
Adolphe-William Bouguereau"The Story Book"
it is lovely

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What an honor! all the images are beautiful.

Kim and David said...

Congratulations, Lisa! I will post your great accomplishment to the Antique Show Insider blog. Kim

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lisa. I'll have to pick up a copy.
Wendy from The Red Teapot Diary

Malisa said...

Oh, my gosh! A great big congratulations to you! It makes you humble ,doesn't it...to be classified with all those great artistic folk! Well, you deserve it!

Malisa

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
The article you wrote in Romantic Homes was heartwarming and real! Bravo!
Beautiful country road~

Roberta

Blue Muse said...

Congratulations! How exciting!
Your blog is just lovely, I'm so glad I came across it. The beauty shown in the photo of the road takes my breath away.

xo Isa

cheryls fascinatingfinds said...

I love your look and if it were me I'd want to travel that road all the time
Cheryl

Pam @ Frippery said...

I haven't opened my copy yet so I didn't read your whole post yet.(didn't want to spoil the leisurely perusal of pages) Congratulations. How exciting! I'm going to grab a cup of tea and my magazine right now and indulge myself in a bit of down time. Pam

time worn interiors said...

Congrats on the article! Your store looks great! I want to come up there so bad! I am moving into a new mall on Saturday, hopeful this will be the best move I have ever made!
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the article in Romantic Homes. Having just recently been published for the first time I know EXACTLY what that feels like! It's an honor to be included with so many amazing talented people. Way to go. Here's hoping 2009 brings on more where that came from! XOXXOO

Pam @ Frippery said...

Congrats. I have been drooling over my issue. i have to get to your shop sometime this spring. (a few hours drive) I left an award for you on my blog for all your inspiring photos. Enjoy, Pam

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You should definitely be proud of that! And you take some beautiful photos-keep up the good work!
Tayler
www.randomocity.etsy.com

Unknown said...

Congratulations! The images look beautiful...

I am going to pick up that issue!

annie

Julie said...

I am out visiting new blogs today and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed yours!

Brissonte' said...

What a beautiful article about your shop in Romantic Homes. Why, Oh, Why, must the shops I long to visit be so far away. Sigh.....
I am so happy to find another kindred spirit and a lovely blog to visit when I am "goofing" off at the shop. Now nothing will ever get done.

Colleen

A Wild Thing said...

I would drive that country road anytime...congrats...and I loved the article, truer words were never spoken.

We are fortunate that we can do what we love every day, even though it hurts sometimes(most of the time)...the word retire never enters my vocabulary...not even in the 7 inch dictionary...I have one too, right at my elbow always.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the spotlight!

sharon

McMaster & Storm said...

congrats! how fun for the beginning of 2009!
{do you still have the crafters 24 drawer thingy for sale?}
K

Anonymous said...

Love your photos, what an idyllic way to get to work, love your red hair, and congrats on the article!
marcie

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Congratulations from a fellow "Romantic"! I so enjoyed your write-up in the mag! I think it was one of my faves!
Like you, my first thought when the mag said they'd like to inclulde me was "ME??" (Thinking, you should see me now! Grubbies, no makeup, etc...) so I could really relate to your story. :)
Just wanted to say hi and congrats!
XOXO
Ruth

Rue said...

That is exactly how I found you too :)

I loved your article so much and conected with what you wrote that I went on a mission to find your blog and I'm so glad I did!

rue