Monday, May 25, 2009

We will forever remember and thank you.

For the last couple of days I have searched on line for a good graphic or video to post regarding Memorial Day and honoring those who have fallen for our freedom. I couldn't find anything that really struck me. This morning our 12 year old daughter marched in our town's Memorial Day parade and I absent mindly picked up my camera on the way out the door to take some shots of her. While we were in the cemetary listening to the message I noticed two older gentleman across the way from me. They were stoic and reserved and I raised my camera to take their picture. As I was waiting for my hand to steady one man removed his glasses to wipe the tears. Time doesn't heal everything. Their pain is still just as fresh today as it was so many years ago. At that point I couldn't see anything for the tears in my own eyes so I just pressed the shutter and hoped it would turn out.

On the left is Don Alexander and on the right John Dunbar. John is the Chaplain of our American Legion. As a family friend said of my photo..."these two dear souls are indeed the genuine article".

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As TAPS began to play.
The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.
They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.
I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.
Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,
Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore.
-CW Johnson
To the men, women and the families of those who have served, thanking you does not seem like enough for your sacrifice, but, thank you. We will forever remember.

4 comments:

Sweet Old Vintage said...

beautifully said. lovely post

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Oh, gosh, that photo and your post and poem brought tears to this patriot's eyes. How precious this photo, and what a true portrait of the cost of freedom. Thanks for posting this, and for your venture with the camera, it certainly paid off, that photo says it all for a day like this.
XOXO
Joni

Sue said...

What you have captured here with your camera is a beautiful story that needs no words. I've read and seen more sentimental posts today.We must not forget...

Scarlett Fiona Reed said...

I just found your blog, reading from the bottom up, and had to tell you how touching this picture is. Really says it all. Thank you.